Horsham District Exercise Referral Scheme
Get fitter and healthier in just 10 weeks
What is it?
- The scheme offers a programme of tailor-made activity at a local leisure centre for the prevention, improvement or management of your health condition.
- You must be prepared to attend 20 appointment based sessions of exercise, preferably within a 10 week period.
- During the sessions, a trained exercise specialist will be on hand to guide and support you.
- You must be referred by a GP or other healthcare professional using the special referral form. Please note that your GP may not feel that a referral is appropriate for your condition and may be able to suggest a more appropriate Wellbeing service.
Why do it?
- The Exercise Referral Scheme gives you a specialised exercise programme which is suitable and beneficial for your particular health condition.
- The atmosphere is friendly and conducive to encouraging people of all ages and fitness levels to participate regularly in exercise.
How much will it cost?
- The consultation at the leisure centre is free.
- After that, you will be given a discounted price for the 20 sessions.
- You may also be offered an incentive to continue using the leisure centre at the end of the 20 sessions.
The referral process
- Initial meeting with your GP or healthcare professional.
- You meet the referral criteria.
- Your GP or healthcare professional completes and signs Section A of the referral form.
- You complete and sign Section B of the form.
- You or your healthcare professional will then need to either send or scan/email the form to the Wellbeing team at Horsham District Council, who will arrange to meet you to discuss your needs.
- The Wellbeing team will register you on the scheme with your chosen leisure centre.
- The leisure centre will contact you to arrange an induction/assessment.
- You start the course.
- At the end of the course you will receive a questionnaire to complete.
- You may be offered an incentive to continue exercising at the leisure centre.